|“||The last great war wrought devastation on all the races, but no-one suffered more than that most mysterious of peoples – the elves.||”|
–Modern Chronicles of Reapers´s Coast, by Cranley Huwbert
The elves are one of the sentient seven main races inhabiting Rivellon. They are also known as one of the elder races.
Physiology EditElegant, slender and taller even than a lizard drawn to their full height the elves enjoy a fortitude that is unmatched between the main Seven Races of Rivellon. Because of this and their cultural tendency of keeping themselves hidden within their ancient forests allowed them to live inordinately long lives. Many generations of men , dwarves and lizards may pass before elven lifetime runs its course if it ever does. There are rumors that elves do not die of natural causes and pass away only if they are killed.
Elven society is centred around the tribe unlike the other races. Elves live in tight-knit tribes knotted throughout their forests, where they had carefully and intentionally cultivated a reputation for cruelty towards outsiders. This reputation stems from "fact" that elves invite intruders to partake in ancient ritual during which they partake in the tribes most sacred of meals… the unsuspecting traveler himself. On contrary this "fact" is born out of prejudice and necessity since elves give birth very rarely.
Elven culture also regards all live as sacred and to be cherished and this is why elves hope that by maintaining this fearsome reputation outsiders will avoid meddling with their business which could end in looses too great for the elves to recover from. Unlike in other societies, crimes, which are extremely rare within a tribe, are always solved diplomatically as elves value life, stories, community, art, traditions, and the natural world more than anything else. Some elves who choose to leave the tribe and venture into cosmopolitan regions often result into criminality in order to survive as linguistic and cultural differences are too great.
ReligionEditElves were created by a Seven God Tir-Cendelius to whom elves pay utmost respect. Alongside him elves pay tribute to their Mother tree and to the Scions. As members of the seven races, elves worship the Divine, whom they regard as an avatar of their god. Although ever since the destruction of the elven forests in 1233 AD had left them with bitterness, anger, and sadness towards the Divine even though he later made amends to the Elves and gave them lands and vast riches from Divine Order.
Memory and languageEdit
Since the elves are extremely long-lived beings they value their collective memory most highly. The forests in which they live are are considered by them as "spiritual repositories" of their ancestors memories and besides this they eat the flesh of their friends and foes so that their valuable stories do not perish with them but persevere so they can be told once again.
Burial culture Edit
Death in elven society is rare and marked with a great ritual during which the blood and the remains of the deceased are treated with utmost dignity. The heart of the deceased elf is consumed and the corpse is put into pit of blood where it can take a root and become a tree. In this way the elves surround themselves with their ancestors.
Appearance in the seriesEdit
Divinity:Dragon Commander Edit
In Dragon Commander the Player character can marry an elven princess. The Dragon form associated with elves was not unfortunately released but can be still found in game files.
Divinity:Original Sin Edit
Divine Divinity Edit
In Divine Divinity the player encounters many elves and also gets to visit an Elven village Fiu Nimble in Dark Forest. The player also meets Eleanalessa and Lanilor who made appearances across the series.
Divinity Original Sin: 2 Edit
|“||The annals of elvendom are written in flesh - elves eat of the dead and absorb their memories. Now, the elves are in peril. An unforgettable hero must rise.||”|
–in game description
The most notable CharactersEdit
- The canon hero of the elves is Sebille Kaleran who is the Godwoken champion of Tir-Cendelius.
- Another most notable character is Saheila who is elven far-seer.
- Ryker the keeper of the graveyard in Driftwood is also one of the most memorable characters.
- Eleanalessa an elven beauty who is important especially during Lohses storyline.
Racial abilityEditFlesh Sacrifice
- Due to the Elves ability to gain memories from body parts they eat the Elves are probably the best race to play for story as you will gain more insight into characters and some relevant stories by consuming body parts.
Divinity II: Dragon Knight SagaEdit
During this game which takes place in 1300 AD the elves along with other Elder Races (Dwarves and Lizards) went into hiding or migrated from their homeland to preserve their race. The only "elven" race which makes an appearance in game are Dragon Elves who are product of Dragons "experiments" on elves shortly after they were created by their God.
- The decription of elves in Divinity Original sin 2 has been since the official release of the game changed. Here is the description from early release:
"Elegant and long-lived, elves are skilled Sourcerers. Memory is the keystone to elven culture; they can absorb memories by consuming the flesh of others."
- in Early access of DOS2 the racial talent for elves was: Elegant - Grants +2 to Finesse.
- in Early access of DOS2 the racial skill Flesh Sacrifice had slightly different benefits. The main difference was in damage boosts which was a 25% damage boost and the cooldown was 4 turns.
- The information on the fate of the elven forests and their relationship to Lucian is acquired from Divinity Original Sin 2 "Purge" ending. Whether the Elves forgave him or not in the end is unknown.